Easy Turmeric Rice makes perfect side dish to any curry. This Indian yellow rice recipe is aromatic, vibrant, delicious & ready in under 30 min. It is vegan & naturally gluten-free too.
Turmeric has been studied and its benefits are bountiful. Although claims range from delaying or reverse brain degeneration, long-term treatment of osteoarthritis, prevention of diabetes, we feel that the most concrete and immediate benefit is anti-inflammatory in the stomach and digestive track and that will help you with mood swings. Reduced bloating will definitely make you less cranky.
- One 4 1/2-pound chicken (Cut into 8 strips)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- Season the chicken strips with pepper and salt. Place a large dutch oven or enameled cast-iron casserole on the stove to melt the butter before then sprinkling on the turmeric.
- Put the salt and peppered side of the chicken in the pot to cook over fairly high heat. For 8 minutes, flip the chicken over once until both sides are brown. Remove chicken and place in a separate dish.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and onion to the pot to cook while stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown. Add the curry powder, cinnamon, cumin, rice, and tomatoes to the pot. Stir consistently until fragrant or for 1 minute. Place the cooked chicken back into the pot with the skin side up. Add in the fish sauce, chicken stock, and bay leaves then set to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot with the lid and allow it to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Adjust the lid so it only partially covers the pot and let it simmer until the rice is completely cooked, which should be 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove the pot from the heat, remove the lid, and allow it to stand for 5 minutes.
- If desired, serve with lime wedges, mint, cucumbers, and possibly plain yogurt.