This chickpea and turmeric stew can go either way, prepare as is vegan, or make it conventional with additional ingredients. Either way, it is delicious and filled with nutrients. A combination of chickpeas, vegetables, coconut milk, and flavored in turmeric and ginger.
The nutrient-packed sweet potatoes, turmeric, and ginger are great for immunity and help meet daily nutrient value. A truly well-rounded meal, this is a vegan and gluten-free recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow/white onion (diced or use 1 shallot)
- 1-2 serrano/jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 small-medium cubed potato
- 1 small-medium cubed sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (already drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- In a saucepan, heat a small batch of vegetable oil on medium heat. When the oil begins to simmer, add the onion and sprinkle a little salt. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes or when the onion begins to soften.
- Add the ginger, garlic, pepper, and turmeric with an additional sprinkle of salt, and stir into the saucepan. Cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring occasionally, or until the shallot is completely soft. Add in the curry powder. Cook for 1 minute while consistently stirring.
- Pour and stir in the pineapple juice, soy sauce, coconut milk, and water. Then add in the cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes, with a large pinch of salt. Stir and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to a steady simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Cook while stirring, occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or when the potatoes are cooked through.
- If desired, use the back of a spoon to mash up the potatoes to slightly thicken the stew. Pour and stir in the lime juice and cooked chickpeas juice. Let it simmer while partially covered for 5-10 more minutes.
- Season with additional salt and lime juice to taste. Serve stew hot. If desired, also serve with rice and herbs.