This chickpea and turmeric stew can go either way, prepare as is vegan, or make it conventional with additional ingredients. Either way, it is delicious and filled with nutrients. A combination of chickpeas, vegetables, coconut milk, and flavored in turmeric and ginger.
The nutrient-packed sweet potatoes, turmeric, and ginger are great for immunity and help meet daily nutrient value. A truly well-rounded meal, this is a vegan and gluten-free recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow/white onion (diced or use 1 shallot)
- 1-2 serrano/jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 small-medium cubed potato
- 1 small-medium cubed sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (already drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- In a saucepan, heat a small batch of vegetable oil on medium heat. When the oil begins to simmer, add the onion and sprinkle a little salt. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes or when the onion begins to soften.
- Add the ginger, garlic, pepper, and turmeric with an additional sprinkle of salt, and stir into the saucepan. Cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring occasionally, or until the shallot is completely soft. Add in the curry powder. Cook for 1 minute while consistently stirring.
- Pour and stir in the pineapple juice, soy sauce, coconut milk, and water. Then add in the cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes, with another but larger pinch of salt. Stir and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to a steady simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Cook while stirring, occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or when the potatoes are cooked through.
- If desired, use the back of a spoon to mash up the potatoes to slightly thicken the stew. Pour and stir in the lime juice and cooked chickpeaslime juice. Let it simmer while partially covered for 5-10 more minutes.
- Season the flavor with additional salt and lime juice. Serve stew hot. If desired, also serve with rice and herbs.