A creamy, luscious, vegan, and gluten-free recipe for maqui berry oats. Power up your oatmeal (or porridge) with this South American superfruit! Feel free to change out the oats for oat powder and reduce cooking time.
This berry derives its color from anthocyanins (a pigment with high antioxidant activity). It was known to have a lot of health benefits like boosting metabolism, reducing inflammation, helping digestion, regulating blood glucose, and surprisingly it is also said to help reduce eye fatigue and dry eyes. This is a great breakfast if you will be staring at a computer screen for prolonged periods of time. If you work sitting down or have a sedentary lifestyle this is the food for you as it supports cardiovascular health as it helps keep oxidative LDL (low-density lipoprotein) down.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maqui powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of granola
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- Mix the milk and oats in a small pot set to medium heat until it reaches a soft boil. Allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes until a little thick.
- Add in the maqui powder, salt, cinnamon, protein powder, and chia seeds. Mix evenly.
- Cook a couple more minutes until the oats are soft. If it appears too thick, pour some more milk to thin out.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle toppings of choice.