Panna cotta lends itself to saucing with different fruits. In this recipe, we use plum powder to create a syrup of flavor to drizzle onto the panna cotta.
This recipe is loaded in vitamins and much needed daily nutrients. Plums are a great source of calcium, potassium, and more. Plum powder can offer an additional bit of sweetness, add some color, and serve as an excellent substitute to some of the less healthy traditional topping options.
- Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin (unflavored)
- 2 1/4 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 and 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream (separated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of plum powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- Panna Cotta:
- Using the canola oil, lightly coat the inside of a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and the water. Add in the gelatin then mix until fully combined. Set aside to allow the gelatin to stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 3/4 cup heavy cream and yogurt.
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar and the 1 cup heavy cream together. Let it simmer over medium heat while stirring until sugar completely dissolves.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Pour into the gelatin mixture and mix until evenly combined and gelatin is dissolved. Whisk together the gelatin/cream mixture with yogurt mixture.
- Pour the combined mixtures into the cake pan. Place pan in the freezer to chill until cold. Take out of the freezer, cover the pan then place in the refrigerator until panna cotta sets. It should be in the refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Plum Layer:
- In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, plum powder, lemon peel, and sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove panna cotta from the refrigerator. Cut around it to loosen up the edges from the cake pan. Set the bottom of the cake pan in a bowl of hot water to loosen it up further. Gently place a flat pan on the cake pan, lightly flipping the panna cotta onto the flat pan. Allow the panna cotta to settle before shifting it to a serving plate.
- Drizzle plum layer mixture over the panna cotta before serving.