It’s sweet with juicy explosions of tart cranberries, dense without being heavy, a golden crumb, soft and moist. The cranberries are left proudly to their makings. Just buttery cake with pops of scarlet sour fruit! You can marble, swirl, layer, fold in or use other techniques by first mixing the cranberry powder with a little water or mix it all in with the batter to make an even taste.
Cranberries in particular offer a range of health benefits. They are a good source of various vitamins and antioxidants.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (cubed and room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of cranberry powder
- Optional Topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup unroasted pecans
- 1/4 cup panela sugarcane
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 10-inch pan.
- Using a mixer, beat sugar and eggs until smooth and increased volume.
- Beat in the butter, vanilla, and almond extract, if using. Beat for 2 minutes or until the butter is smoothly incorporated.
- For the cranberry powder, you have options. You can even spread it by using a spatula, fold in the cranberries, flour, and salt. Then spread evenly into the prepared pan. You can also mix the cranberry powder with a spoon 2 tablespoons of water and swirling it into the cake mix as you pour it from the mixer into the baking pan.
- For the optional pecan topping, heat butter in a sauté pan set to medium heat. Pour and stir in the sugar. Add the pecans and cook for 2 minutes and consistently stirring until the mixture is smooth. Add in the nuts and stir until they are well-coated in the mixture. Sprinkle over the cake batter.
- Place in the oven and set time for between 60-80 minutes for larger pans. For smaller ones, begin checking after halfway, but remember that small loaves take over 40 minutes. Cover the cake with foil in the final 30 minutes of baking to keep the top from browning too much.
- After baking, allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Remove cake from the pan. Leave to cool until ready to serve.