These colorful, blueberry meringues are dipped in rich, dark chocolate and created with organic blueberry powder. The dark chocolate balances the sweet taste for the perfect combination. Decorated with irresistible sprinkles these make a perfect for a special event.
These blueberry meringues are a great healthy snack option with a cup of tea on the weekend. Blueberries contain hefty amounts of phytoflavinoidsso you can enjoy this treat for both the homely sweet taste and the stress-reducing properties of the phytoflavinoids.
- 4 eggs (remove the yolks and keep at room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons blueberry powder
- 1-2 drops blue or purple food (to add a bit of color)
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (melted)
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 275F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a substitute. Set aside for later use.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cream of tartar and egg whites on medium speed. Gradually adjust speed to a higher setting until peaks are frothy and stiff.
- With the same bowl, mix in the salt and the sugar. Be sure all ingredients are combined evenly and none stray to the edges of the bowl. The resulting mixture should be glossy, stiff, and white.
- Pour in the remaining ingredients except for the dark chocolate and whisk them together.
- On the prepared baking sheets from earlier, pipe the meringue into even portions.
- Put the baking sheets into the oven and set the time for 40 minutes. At the halfway mark, spin the sheets around. The goal is for the meringues to have a chewy inside and a crispy outside. When baking is complete, allow the meringues to cool.
- As the meringues cool, prepare other baking sheets to the same instruction from earlier.
- One at a time, dip the bottoms of the meringues into the melted dark chocolate and decorate with sprinkles before putting them evenly on the prepared baking sheets.
- Let harden, then enjoy.